Higher Education in Romania has a worldwide reputation as a centre of excellence in learning, teaching and practice. Romanian Universities and Colleges have been receiving thousands of students from all over the world, especially from other developing countries. Today almost every Romanian university has established partnerships other prestigious universities all over the world. Modern Romania offers state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge research opportunities for international students.
Romania is the birthplace of many influential thinkers and artists that have shaped European thought and culture. Mircea Eliade, Eugen Ionesco, Emil Cioran, Lucian Blaga, Ion Caragiale are just some of the great Romanian thinkers and writers. Romanians also take great pride in their national poet, Mihai Eminescu. The artistic works of Constantin Brancusi have received international acclaim. The music composer George Enescu is another Romanian and international icon. Each year a music festival dedicated in his name takes place in the Romanian capital city, Bucharest. Famous Romanian sports figures include personalities such as Nadia Comaneci, Ilie Nastase or Gheorghe Hagi.
Student information about cities in Romania
Find the best information about what to expect when studying in top cities in Romania. Read about degree course offers, career opportunities, student life, living costs, and more.
- Study in Bucharest
- Study in Iasi
- Study in Cluj-Napoca
- Study in Timisoara
In Romania higher education is provided in education and research institutions, universities, institutes, academies, conservatories and university colleges. State higher education comprises 49 state higher education institutions with 324 faculties and other 8 private institutions.
The higher education institutions comprise of several faculties, university colleges, divisions, departments and small pilot units specialised in researches and micro-production. The faculty represents the functional basic unit of the higher education institution and is organised by chairs or by departments. The teaching in a faculty is organised by specialities, years of study, student series and groups. The faculty includes the teaching and research personnel, the students and the auxiliary and administrative personnel.
International students willing to study in Romania can apply either to the Ministry of Education and Research or to the chosen Romanian university, in order to receive the Letter of Acceptance.
The following application papers are required:
- Application form; pdf version; on-line version
- Certified copy of the Baccalaureate Diploma or equivalent – for undergraduate studies;
- Certified copy of the graduation certificate – for graduate applicants or PhD;
- Academic record translated into Romanian, English, French or German;
- Language certificate (see further instructions regarding this issue)
- Certified copy of the Birth Certificate;
- Certified copy of the passport;
- Medical certificate.
The application forms are available at the International Relations Offices of the Ministry of Education and Research or of the Romanian universities, or at the Romanian Embassies abroad.
Universities may have additional specific application requirements. So make sure to international student services for detailed information about the application procedure.
Find more information about admission requirements in Romanian universities.
International student can choose from a variety of study fields:
- Science & Technology: Computer Science, Civil Engineer, Electronics, Communication, Aerial Navigation, Artificial Intelligence, Materials Engineering, Engineering of Organic Chemicals, Petroleum and Coal Chemistry, Software Engineering.
- Medicine: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, veterinary medicine, etc.
- Economics: Business Administration, Finance and Risk Management, International Business, etc.
- Other internationally compatible studies: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Political Studies, Public Administration, etc.
The Romanian higher education system is organised on three undergraduate and post-graduate levels: first level bachelor studies, second level master studies and third level doctor studies. Higher education in Romania offers a variety of study options: regular studies, part-time courses and Open Distance Learning.
International students may take a supplementary preparatory year for learning the Romanian language or choose a study in a foreign language. Romanian universities offer great choices of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Romanian, English, French and German.
English language preparation for studying in Romania
Develop your academic English language skills in order to meet the English language requirements at Romanian universities offering degree studies for international students. Choose an English language school anywhere in the world and pick your preferred English exam preparation course from diverse language course options.
The academic library network in Romania supports the teaching and research programmes in universities. With the most important documentary base in Romania, about 24 million volumes, this network provides the appropriate means for the academic learning and research process. These libraries, using permanent communication, ensure the national and international exchange of publications. Presently, the library system is undergoing a process of digitization. In just a few years, the entire book patrimony will be transferred on electronic format.
Once you get your letter of acceptance from the Ministry of education, you have to apply for Romanian student visa to your closest Romanian embassy or consulate. Students arriving from the EU countries, the European Economic Area, as well as from Canada, Croatia, Japan, Moldova, South Korea, Switzerland, USA and Serbia do not need a visa to enter Romania.
All other international students are required to apply for a Romanian student visa prior to arrival.
Requirements for Romanian Student long stay visa:
- Letter of acceptance from Romanian Ministry of education.
- Proof of tuition fees payment for one year.
- Proof of sufficient means of support for entire period specified in the visa (approximately 2500 Euros).
- Criminal record certificate.
- Medical insurance for the entire period of the visa validity.
- Approval of the parents to stay on the Romanian territory for study purposes, if the foreign citizen is a minor.
Once you arrive in Romania and completed university enrolment, you have to apply for a residence permit.